Join EP Project-52

EllenburgPhotography-Project52. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Photo Nola

This weekend I was invited to attend Photo Nola with a local group of Photographers from the Eastern Shore Camera Club. We rented a 15 Passenger Van and spent a wonderful day looking at photography portfolios by Photographers from all over the country and got to soak in the sights, sounds and tasty smells of New Orleans.
When I signed up to attend, I had no idea about any of this. Photo Nola really celebrates the artsy side of photography that I always find fascinating. If you pulled out my portfolio, it's very bland by comparison. It a pure reflection of my work, Portrait Photography. But I was so wow'd by these guys. I left Photo Nola so inspired.
Here I am...exhausted after a full day in New Orleans, but bubbling with ideas and still rocking my sparkle scarf.

fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-16

There were 65 Participants in the Portfolio Review. Photographers were eager to answer all my questions. I was so interested in how these Portfolio Ideas come about. These guys are so creative. And what I enjoyed the most, is that these guys are just like me. They are Portrait Photographers too or teachers and instructors building this portfolio in addition to whatever pays the bills. I enjoyed a lot of artists.
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-4
Lisette's work was really neat. All her Photos were xrays of dolls. Very artsy - all black and white. Check her out here: www.LisetteBoisblanc.com
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-5
Laura was great to talk to. She is from the Houston and the majority of these photos were taken of her daughter with a tiny plastic camera. I loved how dark the tones were in her photographs. Check her out here: lauraburlton.com
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-8
Kiresten's work was so cool - literally. She photographed things frozen in ice. Photographs & objects in the ice all in black and white. It was such a different idea. Check her out at: www.kirstenhovingphotographs.com
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-9

Another favorite for me was, Anne George. There was a really great dark fairy tale feel to her work that I just found really fascinating. Most of her photographs are of the same young girl. Really great stuff. Check her out at: www.AnnGeorgePhotography.com
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-10
Sarah's work was also different. Everything she photographed was from the deep dark storage rooms of the Anniston Museum of Natural History. She had a lot of creepy dead birds to work with. Check her stuff out at: Sarahcusimanomiles.com
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-13
Nancy had a real artistic view of nature. I called it Panned Nature. {Darn you panning, if gives me such a headache.} The colors are so bold. I liked it. Check her out at: www.NancyFulton.com
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-15
I also saw a lot of odd things that I'd never thought of as a portfolio...Like JUST the back of t-shirts.
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-6
or People covered in drapes...(Self Portrait? Maybe, maybe not.)
fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-3
Other artists I enjoyed were:
Chuck Dye's Postcards from Prosperity. He was really interesting to talk to. www.PostcardsfromProsperity.com
Kat Moser builds 3 different portfolios during a calendar year. I really enjoyed her water ballerinas. www.katmoser.com
Christopher Jordan, the new digital photography professor at University of Alabama had a great portfolio with Suburban Sublime. It has a foggy mystical feel. I liked it. www.JordanPhoto.com
Donna's work is just of children. Its really cool because it looks like she just stops by and gets a shot of your kid doing whatever there are doing at the moment. I really liked that all the children were different. www.donnapinckley.com
Terry's Facebook Project was fascinating to me. It was shot like a GAP ad. I liked it. I wanted to immediately go buy some jeans. www.lightandbytesphoto.com
Stephen is really witty. I enjoyed his work. www.askew-view.com
So, what happens to a normal gal after being overly inspired by 65 amazing photographers. Well, I'm ready to jump on board with an artsy side project. And I know what it's going to be and it has a name. I'm super psyched. And just like these guys, It may take me years to build, but it's going to be an awesome ride. Stay Tuned...

fb 11-12-10 Photo Nola-18
Hope your weekend was equally inspiring!
XOXO, Daphne

Daphne Ellenburg is a budding photography business owner in Southern Alabama with a supportive family and a new fancy-pants in home studio. She loves college football, big handbags, lip gloss and all things Olympus. Daphne also enjoys writing about her Photo-Adventures and her entertaining family. Catch up with her at Ellenburg Photography {Website} {Facebook} {EP Blog}{Daphne's Blog}{Join EP Project 52}

Ellenburg Photography's award winning photographer, Daphne Ellenburg, specializes in Wedding Photography and Family Portraiture. We are located just north of Mobile Alabama. We proudly serve all of Alabama, and Gulfcoast Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana. (251) 656-7601


No comments:

Post a Comment